We were excited to have the opportunity to create a new gravel driveway at Mr Grimwood’s stunning 16th Century thatched house in Clifton Hampton, Oxford.
First we removed the tired existing driveway and replace it with 20mm Oxfordshire shingle from Grant and Stone.
The house dates back to the 16th Century, so we had to be careful that the driveway was in keeping with the original house.
The local primary school is located next door and they both share the same access road. This meant we had to carry out the work in the school holidays to avoid disruption.
We had to be careful as the mains electricity ran diagonally beneath the driveway through the centre. We marked it’s location using a CAT scan and carefully excavated around it.
On completion of the driveway, we thanked Mr Grimwood for using NDC by passing on a dozen golf balls. A couple of weeks later we received an email from the keen golfer:
“Hi Jamie. Thank you so much for the dozen Strata golf balls. I thought you might like to know that I donated 2 to the Manor GC, Uttoxeter; 2 to Theale; 1 to The Downshire; and at least 2 to the lake on our 15th at Drayton!”
- Branch responsible for work: Abingdon
- Client name: Mr Grimwood
- Client address: Clifton Hampton, Abingdon, Oxford
- Date completed: April 2017
- Duration: 4 Days
- Replace existing driveway
- Create new gravel driveway
- 20mm Oxfordshire shingle from Grant and Stone.
- Recessed manhole cover.
- Terram weed-proof membrane.
- Type-1 stone for base material.
- Concrete round top path edgings.
- Gravel-Grip system to prevent loss of gravel.
- Woburn Rumbled blocks in Autumn colour for 2 x rumble strips.
“Thank you! As we live in a 16th century house our driveway needed a sympathetic approach. This was achieved after several visits from Jamie and the expert work of just two men in four days. Please pass on our thanks to them.
I have already recommended you to several friends.”
Mr Grimwood. Clifton Hampton, Oxford